Around the world, school systems are beginning to rely on laptops, tablets, smartphones, and other devices to help educate students for the 21st century. In many cases, as these deployments have gained momentum, schools have begun to add new solutions to their software deployments. We saw this first hand at The Montclair Kimberley Academy in Montclair, NJ–home of the first major educational deployment of Evernote.
Students and faculty at the Montclair Kimberley Academy are using Evernote for everything from language learning to planning theater performances to collaborating on research projects to studying plant and insect development. In only a few months, Evernote has become a critical tool both inside and outside the classroom. Here’s their story…
The Montclair Kimberley Academy and its 1:1 Program
The Montclair Kimberley Academy (MKA) is a K-12 private school of around 1000 students. At the start of the 2010-2011 school year, MKA launched a 1:1 (one-to-one) Program, in which every student, grades four through twelve, was given a MacBook Pro laptop, a backup drive, an Evernote Premium subscription, and some other software products. In addition, all teachers were given an Evernote Premium subscription.
The goal of the MKA 1:1 program was to provide students and faculty with the best, most advanced educational tools available.
Why The Montclair Kimberley Academy chose Evernote
“We’re always looking for applications that change the way teachers teach and students learn. It’s the driving focus for any application that we bring into the school.” – Bill Stites, Director of Technology, Montclair Kimberley Academy
- Staying organized: Help students work on their organizational skills to keep their thoughts and work in order.
- Notes and research in one place: Students are able to keep all of their notes, assignments, work, and research in one always accessible location.
- Sharing and collaboration: Allow students to share their notebooks with teachers and allow teachers to provide feedback to the students.
- Versatility: Evernote’s versatility allows students and teachers to discover unexpected uses for the software.
- Save and sync files: Evernote Premium accounts allow students and faculty to place any type of file into their notes, from Word documents to Photoshop files to other file attachments.
- Multiple platforms: Students are able to access all of the notes and research from their computers, phones, iPods, iPads and other devices.
Evernote benefits beyond learning
Besides its educational benefits, Evernote also gives the IT and technology staff peace of mind. In the past, a problem with a student’s computer might mean lost productivity. This is no longer the case. At MKA, students are given a loaner laptop while their laptop is repaired. They simply install Evernote, sync their notes and are back in class without missing a beat.
Evernote Sponsored Accounts
To manage their deployment, The Montclair Kimberley Academy signed up for Evernote’s Sponsored Accounts. Sponsored Accounts allowed them to easily provide all of the students and faculty with Evernote Premium accounts, under a single monthly bill. Learn more about Evernote Sponsored Accounts »
An important features of Sponsored Accounts is that ownership of the account is maintained by the student, MKA is simply paying for the Premium subscription. This means that all of the notes and memories will be available to the student forever.
Evernote: a learning timeline
We’re amazed by all the great ways Evernote is used in education. Not only is it useful for students while they’re learning, but it also becomes an incredible timeline to look back upon. Imagine having access to all of your classwork and ideas created during your formative years. With Evernote, you can have it.
Q&A Webinar about the MKA deployment
Join us for a conversation with Bill Stites, Director of Technology at MKA. Bill will describe the deployment in greater detail and answer your questions.
- Date: Wednesday, February 9th, 2011
- Time: 11am PT
- RSVP: Click here to register
There are three ways to submit questions. We’ll accept questions during the webinar, you can submit a question on the RSVP form, or ask your question in the comments of this post.
More from our education series
- How Evernote helped me through college
- 10 Evernote Tips for School
- How my students started using Evernote
- 10 Tips For Teachers Using Evernote
Join the discussion about Evernote for Schools on our forum. Learn from educators and share your own experiences, best practices and tips.