Hi, Kasey here with the latest from our ‘Did You Know?’ blog series. Ron (of Ron’s Tips) and I will be writing about different Evernote features and how to make the most of them. We hope that both new and existing users will find some helpful nuggets in these posts to help maximize your Evernote experience.
Evernote lets you capture anything you might want to remember — be it an image, a file, a handwritten, audio note or a quick, typed reminder. With most of us spending hours every day surfing the web for work, school, and fun, it’s not surprising that the things we want to remember are often found online.
How clipping from the Web with Evernote works
Above: clip your favorite recipes from around the web
Have you downloaded one of our Web Clipper extensions for your browser of choice? You can download clippers for Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer and then clip anything from the web and immediately have it saved to your Evernote account.
Each clipper works a little differently (depending on your browser), but their end goal is the same — to help you grab anything you might want to remember from the web, and always be able to find it later. When you clip a selection from the web and sync your Evernote account, you’ll be able to access that clip on any computer or device where you have Evernote installed.
Here are some of the ways that you can use the Evernote Web Clipper:
- For comparison shopping: when you’re browsing sites like Amazon and Crate and Barrel, clip products you like (along with prices). Pull them up on your phone when you’re out shopping.
- For gift ideas (for yourself and others): keep track of gift ideas as you come across them. Maybe there’s a great barbecue set for your dad for Father’s Day, or the perfect book for your best friend’s birthday. Tag your clips with ‘Gift Ideas’ or ‘Want.’
- For research: clip articles from the web and save them to a research notebook in Evernote. Writing a thesis or a business plan? Refer to your research notes in Evernote as you build on the document.
- For travel planning: capture recommendations from trusted travel websites and travel deals in Evernote. Save to your travel or trip notebook. Scroll through everything you’ve found when you get to the booking phase.
- For recipes: clip recipes from your favorite recipe sites, blogs, and newspapers. Save them to your Evernote account and tag with ‘recipes’ or ingredients. Make notes like: “Make for Sunday dinner” right inside of the clipped recipe.
- For inspiration: whether you are planning a wedding or redecorating your house, clip anything that inspires you around the web. DYI projects from design*sponge and ReadyMade, wedding placecards from Style Me Pretty, wine openers from Etsy, sneakers from Cool Hunting, etc.
Clippers for Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer
Above: clipping for trip planning in Firefox
Every browser is different and Evernote takes advantage of each browser’s unique capabilities. In all of the browsers, you can choose to clip a whole page or just a selection from a page. We recommend highlighting the section you’re interested in before clipping, so you capture the stuff you really want to remember.
Above: clipping products you like in Chrome
Cool benefits of web clipping with Evernote
As with all of your notes, your web clips are super searchable — meaning Evernote will even scan your clipped web images for text. The URL associated with the clip will also be automatically embedded in your note, so if you are doing a research project, for example, you’ll always be able to go back to the original source to add the proper citation.
Clip it from your desktop, pull it up on your phone
Web clipping is sort of like creating your own ‘best of’ list – it’s curated and customized by you and for you. When you clip something from the web to Evernote, you can quickly pull it up on your phone, without having to re-launch your web browser.
If you are a website or blog publisher, check out the Evernote Site Memory button. When you add it to your site, the button will allow visitors to add content from your site directly to their Evernote account in a clean, visually-appealing format. Site Memory builds long-term loyalty with your readers, who can revisit their favorite posts in their Evernote account and remember to go back to your site for more great content. Learn more about Site Memory.
Get the Web Clipper for your browser
To download the Web Clipper of your choice, just hit this link — we’ll figure out which browser you’re using. From there, click the download button and follow the instructions. Happy clipping!
What features would you like us to explore in our Did You Know Series? Let us know in the comments.