Editor’s Note: As of April 29, 2015, the Evernote features described in this blog post have changed. Please reference our comparison page for a current list of features and pricing levels.
Life has enough complicated rules to keep track of, so we like to simplify wherever we can. In that spirit, we’re happy to say that we’ve just simplified how file attachments work for Free users. As many of you know, Free users had been previously limited to putting only text, image, audio and PDF files into their notes. That restriction is now gone, so both Free and Premium users can attach any type of file to a note. Easy Peasy.
Watch Your Head
The reason we lifted our file restriction is that we want to allow our users to store everything related to an experience or memory in a single, visual, searchable place. However, please keep in mind that the note size and monthly upload restrictions haven’t changed:
- Free users can make a single note up to 25MB in size and can upload up to 60MBs of new stuff every month.
- Premium users can make a single note up to 50MB in size and can upload up to 1GB of new stuff every month.
Adding files to Evernote
Now is probably a good time to refresh your memory on how to put files into Evernote. Virtually every version of Evernote supports adding files.
Desktop and Web
- Mac: Drag a file into a note or onto the Evernote dock icon or use the File -> Attach File menu option.
- Windows: Drag a file in a note or right click in a note and choose the File option.
- Evernote Web: Edit a note, then drag a file onto the note header or click the paperclip icon.
- iOS: When viewing a file, tap the Share icon in the top right, then tap Open with…Evernote.
- Android: When editing a note, tap the paper clip and choose File.
- BlackBerry: From the home screen, tap on the Upload file option.
- WebOS: Select File from the New Note screen.
We’re excited about this change because it will let more of you get more out of Evernote. We have lots of new features in the works, including some exciting ones for Premium users. Check out our Evernote Premium page to learn about all the great reason to go Premium.