Over the past six months, our team has been hard at work completely rebuilding Evernote for Mac from the inside out. The goal is to create a faster and more reliable version of Evernote for Mac. It also uses much less power, making it the greenest version we’ve ever released.
We are not done yet, but we’ve reached a point where you can try out the beta and help us squash some bugs. If you’re interested, read to the end of this post for instructions on how to get the beta.
Here’s a list of everything that’s new and improved in this release:
- Sync is more than 3x faster. Users with lots of Shared Notebooks and Evernote Business users will see the biggest improvements.
- New notes sync instantly so they’re immediately accessible on your other devices.
- Share notes without waiting for a sync to complete.
- Launch and quit times have been reduced dramatically.
- New keyboard shortcuts have been added to jump to the note list for easy navigation (CMD + |) and you can now tab between the search field, the note list, current note title and note body.
- Energy consumption when the app is idle and in-use has been significantly reduced.
- Tables can now be re-sized, and have configurable background colors and border styles.
- Images can be re-sized right in the note editor. Just click an image and drag the handle in the bottom right corner.
- Search results are now ordered by relevance.
- Faster notebook selector at the top of the note list remembers your recently used notebooks.
- Redesigned checkboxes in the note editor are easier to click.
- Evernote will now stay logged in by default.
- We’ve closed over 400 bugs including more than 100 types of crashes.
- Our crash reporting system has been completely rebuilt.
- Spotlight search is not currently functional.
- Evernote for Mac 5.6 requires Mac OS X 10.7+
Important: It’s a Beta!
Evernote for Mac 5.6 is currently in beta. Before installing it, please be sure that you’re comfortable using early software. While unlikely, you may experience various issues and possibly even data loss. Also, certain features are yet to be implemented. They’ll be coming soon.
Get Evernote for Mac 5.6 Beta 1
Download the Evernote for Mac 5.6 Beta 1 »